Holistic Healing – the art and science of healing. This type of healing addresses the whole person – body, mind, and spirit. Combining conventional and alternative therapies to prevent and treat disease, and most importantly, to promote optimal health. There are many different variations for holistic healing – Essential Oils, Aromatherapy, Acupuncture, Chiropractic, and Simple Meditation. In this article, it will focus on the beginner steps of meditation and the health benefits.
The following tips are for the beginning stages of meditation. They are not aimed to turn you into an expert just yet. They simply will help you get started and eventually move to the expert level of meditation.
1. Start slow, sit for just two minutes. It may seem ridiculously easy; that’s perfect. Meditate for two minutes a day for a week. If all goes well, increase your time by another two minutes and do that for another week. Continue increasing your time by two minutes each week. If it all goes well, you’ll be meditation for 10 minutes by the 2nd month, which is astounding.
2. It’s easy to say you will meditate every day, but remembering to do so can be difficult. Try to introduce meditation into your morning routine. Or set a reminder for each day and put a post-it note up somewhere that says “Meditate” so you will remember.
3. Don’t over think the process at first, just do it. A lot of beginners tend to worry about where to sit or what cushion they should use. All this is nice, but as a starter, it is not essential to get started. Start off simple like sitting on your couch or in a chair. Or even sit on your bed. If the ground is comfortable for you, sit cross-legged. Again you are starting off slow, so it’s just for two minutes. So pick a spot and sit. As you advance and meditate for long periods of time you can worry about optimizing y, so you’ll be comfortable for longer.
4. Check your mental state. How are you feeling? How does your body feel? Busy? Tired? Anxious? No matter what the feelings are that you are bringing into the meditation session, know that they are completely ok. Just be aware of how you feel.
5. Now that you have settled into the right spot, and you know how you’re feeling. Turn your attention to your breathing. Place all your focus on your breath as it comes in through your nose all the way down into your lungs. Count “one” as you take your first breath in, then “two” as you breathe out. Continue this to the count of 10, then start over and do it again. Focus on your breathing for the whole 2 minutes.
These are just a few beginners tips to learning meditation. Performing these simple meditation steps can have multiple health benefits. It can lower stress levels, help you have a good nights sleep, and it can increase immunity and helps fight diseases.
Practicing holistic healing methods to go along with controlling your pain with prescribed medication, can result in a better, healthier life. Give us a call at (720) 410-5714 today to set up an appointment. You can refer to our other blog posts that are related to holistic healing to learn more about how it can improve your life.